Knowledge work is a "Wicked Problem"
Knowledge Work – A Definition…
In addition to the experts, this is how we are thinking. First, absent an agreed definition of Knowledge Work, we offer this:-
How is Knowledge Work Different?
- Knowledge work is characterized through aspects of variability.
- Strategies of the past i.e. to eliminate work variability (work & human) for the purposes of productivity and automation, are ill at ease with knowledge work.
- Consequently a one-size fits all approach to facilitating Knowledge Work cannot produce sustainable outcomes.
- Institutions have evolved past hierarchical and matrix organisation structures, employees now operate in the era of the “wirearchy”, spanning a 3D lattice inherent within the modern enterprise.
- Critically, its not just about B2B or B2C, we believe that organisations have lost sight that knowledge work is primarily about human-to-human (H2H).
- Productivity challenges apply irrespective of company size, as increases in organisational size are matched in lock-step by increases in complexity of interactions.
- There are endless technology solutions on offer.
- But those portfolios of technologies, and the infinite permutations in which they can be combined, has produced a “Tower of Babel” situation within many enterprises.
- Knowledge Workers have always been mobile.
- The new reality of working from home (WFH) arising from Covid-19 has just accelerated the initiative and speed towards “Work from Anywhere” (WFx).
- Organizations cannot manage Knowledge Workers in a “Work from Anywhere” world using methods optimized for the office.